The benefits of Sandlewood paste/oil--SP
Prabhupada: So there are two Malayas. One Malaya hill and one, this
Malaya... Malaysia, now it is known as. Formerly, in this part of the
world, Malaysia, they were growing sandalwood in great, large scale.
Because 5,000 years ago, there was good demand for sandalwood. Every
person should use the sandal pulp.
Because in India, it is tropical
country. So this is a good cosmetic. Still, those who can afford
during very warm day of summer season, if you apply pulp of sandalwood
on your body, you feel no warm. It is cool. Yes
So it was the system... Still that is going on, but a very small
scale. That everyone, after taking bath, he should smear over the body
with sandalwood pulp. It will keep the body whole day nice, cool and
calm. So that was the cosmetic. Now, in the Kali-yuga, that is called
prasadhanam. Just like, every country, the system is, after taking
bath, you dress your hair, add something scented. So in India it was
the system that after taking bath, having tilaka, going to the Deity
room, offering obeisances, then the prasadam, candana-prasadam was
taken from the Deity room and it was used
. This is called prasadhanam.
In Kali-yuga, in the, it is said that: snanam eva hi prasadhanam. If
one can take bath nicely, that is prasadhanam. So much. No more this
cosmetic or sandalwood oil or rose scent or rose water. These are
finished. That snanam eva prasadhanam. Simply by, taking bath...
While I was in India, in the beginning, so taking bath is very
ordinary thing because even the poorest man will take early morning
bath. But actually when I came to your country I saw that taking bath
is also difficult thing. Taking bath, that is also not in practice.
Perhaps once in a week. We are accustomed to see in India thrice in a
day. And I have seen in New York that friends are coming to another
friend's house because one has no facility for taking shower bath. So
coming to a friend's house. Is it not? I have seen it. So the symptoms
of Kali-yuga described that it will be very difficult also to take
even bath. Snanam eva hi prasadhanam.
And daksyam kutumba-bharanam. Daksyam. Daksyam meaning, means one
who is famous for his pious activities. He's called daksyam. Daksyam,
this word comes from daksa. Daksa means expert. So daksyam
kutumba-bharanam. In Kali-yuga, if a person can maintain a family...
Family means wife and a few children, or one or two children. That is
called family. But family does not mean in India like that. Family
means a joined family. Joined family, the father, the sons, the
nephews, the sister, husbands. They join together. That is called
family. But in the Kali-yuga, it will be difficult even to maintain
family. If one can maintain his family...
In New York, when I was there, one old lady was coming. So he has,
she had a grown-up son. So I asked her: "Why don't you get your son
married?" "Yes, he can marry if he can maintain the family." I did not
know that, that the maintaining of family is a difficult job here. I
did not know that. So these are described in the Bhagavatam. If one
can maintain a family, oh, he is very glorious man. "Oh, he's
maintaining five (?)." If the girl has got a husband, she is
considered to be very fortunate. So actually these things are there.
... the example is given: Just like malayasyeva candanam.
Candana. This is a tree. A tree can grow anywhere, but the sandalwood
tree, because it is very prominent in the Malaysia country, formerly
they were growing this candana tree, as I told you, because there was
good demand, in India especially, of sandalwood. So they, nowadays
they are growing rubber tree because there is good demand for rubber.
So it is not our business to criticize, but the symptoms of
Kali-yuga is very, very severe, and it will grow more and more. We
have simply passed 5,000 years only of the Kali-yuga, but the duration
of Kali-yuga is 400,000, 432,000 of years, out of only we have passed
5,000 years. And after passing 5,000 years, we find so many
difficulties, and the more we grow in this Kali-yuga, the days will be
more and more difficult. So best thing is that you finish your Krsna
consciousness business and go back to home, back to Godhead. That will
save you. Otherwise, if we come back again, the difficulties, the
difficult days are ahead. We have to suffer more and more.
Conclusions- Formerly at least in the USA temples, we would get sandlewood pulp offered
daily to all the devotees which was Deity prasadam, as Prabhupada mentions. Nowadays, who amongst
us all (if one is not doing daily deity worship) gets sandlewood pulp/oil to put on his or her body? Also who amongst us is not finding it difficult to maintain the family situation? Gradually the inconveniences to maintain simple things, even the taking of daily bath will be all but impossible as the kali yuga advances year by year. We should note these things spoken by Prabhupada, carefully.
Some benefits of sandlewood paste and oil
- Anti Septic: Essential Oil of Sandal Wood is very good as an anti septic. It is safe for both internal and external applications. It ingested, it helps protect internal wounds and ulcers from infections. Similarly, when applied on skin, it protects wounds, sores, boils, pimples etc. from infections and from getting septic.
- Anti Inflammatory: Both Sandal Wood paste and its essential oil are very effective as anti inflammatory agents. They have a nice cooling effect and gives relief from all types of inflammations in brain, digestive system, nervous system, circulatory system, excretory system etc. resulting from infections, fever, side effects of antibiotics, poisoning, insect bites, wounds etc. Sandal Wood Essential Oil is particularly beneficial in case of nervous and circulatory inflammations.
- Anti Phlogistic: Just as it has been discussed above, Sandal Wood Oil has Anti Phlogistic properties and gives relief from inflammations resulting from fever and viral infections.
- Anti Spasmodic: Being a relaxant and sedative in nature, this oil works great against spasm too. It relaxes nerves, muscles and blood vessels and hence ends spasm or contraction. Thus it is helpful in treating problems associated with spasm, such as cramps, aches, coughs etc.
- Astringent: Although very mild, still this oil has some astringent properties which induce contraction in gums, muscles and skin. This proves beneficial in terms of strengthening hold of gums on teeth, strengthening of muscles, tightening of skin etc.
- Cicatrisant: The essential oil of Sandal Wood soothes skin and helps fading away of scars, spots etc. It has been an old practice to use paste of sandal wood as a skin pack. The same effect can be obtained from this essential oil. This oil is now extensively used in skin-care soaps, lotions and creams.
- Carminative: The Essential Oil of Sandal Wood, being relaxant in nature, induces relaxation in the intestines and abdominal muscles, thereby facilitating removal of gases. It does not also let gases form.
- Diuretic: Due to its relaxing and anti inflammatory nature, it soothes inflammations in the urinary system and induces relaxation in it, thereby promoting easy passage of urine. It also increases frequency and quantity of urination. This helps a lot treating the infections and inflammations in the urinary system.
- Disinfectant: It is the disinfectant property of Sandal Wood Essential Oil that justifies it’s such a wide use in the religious ceremonies and cosmetics. Its fragrance keeps away microbes and small insects and that is why it is extensively used in incense sticks, sprays, fumigants and evaporators to disinfect the whole surrounding. Moreover, this oil can be mixed with bathing water or other lotions or oils to apply on skin and wounds and ensure their protection from infections. This oil can also be safely taken with milk to cure internal infections, such as those in throat, oesophagus, stomach, intestines, excretory tracts etc.
- Emollient: Sandal Oil soothes skin, relieves it from inflammations and irritations, cures infections on it and keeps it fresh and cool.
- Expectorant: Sandal Wood Essential Oil behaves as an expectorant and is particularly effective in treating coughs. It also fights viral infection which causes cough & cold, flu, mumps etc.
- Hypotensive: This is a very useful property of Sandal Wood Essential Oil. It can be taken with milk or even water to reduce blood pressure in patients suffering from high blood pressure. The paste of Sandal Wood has the same effect.
- Memory Booster: It improves memory and induces concentration. It keeps the brain cool and relaxed and saves from undue stress and anxiety.
- Sedative: This oil sedates inflammations, anxiety, fear, stress, restlessness etc. and induces relaxation, calmness, concentration, inner vision, positive thoughts etc.
- Tonic: This oil can be very good health tonic for all, especially for growing children. It can be safely given to them. Since it is soothing on stomach and digestive system, circulatory system and nervous system, it helps these system function in harmony and without any
- Other Benefits: Deodorant
| HOME | TOP |