Hare Krsna to all
All Glories to Srila Prabhupada
Below we have a short article devoted to explaining how ONE word taken out and changed of Prabhupadas purports (by the BBT editors) can dramatically change the entire meaning of the Hare Krsna Movement. Please read on to find out what the BBT editors have done And this is just ONE of thousands of changes they have made.
We will attempt to show how the BBT editors by changing ONE word will entirely change the meaning of initiation as given by Srila Prabhupada. And why do they want to change the meaning of initiation? So they can justify their claim as "gurus". As with any material crime-"follow the trail of the money".
Regarding our disciplic sucession-
Srila Prabhupadas Original words in C.C.-
Adi 1.1 Purport The direct disciple of Srila Krsnadasa Kaviraja Gosvami was Srila Narottama dasa Thakura, who accepted Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti as his servitor. Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura accepted Srila Jagannatha dasa Babaji, who initiated Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura, who in turn initiated Srila Gaurakisora dasa Babaji, the spiritual master of Om Visnupada Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Gosvami Maharaja, the divine master of our humble self.
In the new 9-volume edition, the same passage of C.C. by the BBT editors Dravida and Jayadvaita Swami (JAS) is as follows-
"The direct disciple of Srila Krsnadasa Kaviraja Gosvami was Srila Narottama dasa Thakura, who accepted Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti as his servitor. Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura accepted Srila Jagannatha dasa Babaji, the spiritual master of Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura, who in turn accepted Srila Gaurakisora dasa Babaji, the spiritual master of Om Visnupada Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Gosvami Maharaja, the divine master of our humble self."
So any normally thinking devotee would now ask the question -Why did Dravida and JAS take out the words "initiated" in Prabhupadas original CC purport and insert their own version of "accepted" instead??? Seem like a small thing? Don't bet the farm on it !!
Here below we have Dravidas own words on this subject--
"On the side of not changing the "initiated" phrases we have the strong bias against changing the books unless absolutely necessary and the fact that Srila Prabhupada did indeed say that Jagannatha das Babaji initiated Bhaktivinode." (BBT Editor, Dravida Das)
Ok so now Dravida admits the Srila Prabhupada DID say that Jagannatha das babaji did initiate Bhaktivinode thakur .This admission on his part means he can read plain english of an already published book written by Srila Prabhupada. So why change the text by taking out the word "initiated"?
Dravida says- Leaving one or both "initiated"s will strongly imply that the use of the phrases "direct disciple" and even "accepted [as his disciple]" indicate formal initiation as we know it in ISKCON, which is far from the truth." [bold font and underline emphasis is mine] (BBT Editor, Dravida Das)
This last was the weightiest argument, in my view, for changing the passage. (BBT Editor, Dravida Das)
Many times we have heard the BBT editing argument that they were only fixing mistakes in grammar or punctuation, and not changing the philosophy. Now in this change we see they are more interested in changing substantial key points in our philosophy. That being the very and most basic way any conditioned soul (who comes to Prabhupada) can contact the param para and receive his mercy.
The BBT editors want us to believe by this new change that Jagannatha das Babaji did not really initiate Bhaktivinode Thakur but just "accepted" him.They also want us to think, by the current iskcon ideology, that one needs a physically living guru to accept as his guru and that the transmission of transcendental knowledge during diksa is not the most important part of initiation. This,however, is not what Srila Prabhupada tells us.
1) "Diksa[initiation] actually means "initiating" a disciple "with transcendental knowledge" by which he becomes freed from all material contamination." (Madhya-lila, 4:112, Purport
So from this purport it is clear that when one gets initiated it does not take place necessarily when the banana gets tossed in the sacrificial fire,or even the new name given, but rather as he mentions above, the essential ingredient of initiation is imparting the disciple with transcendental knowledge.
This means then that formal initiation is not really necessary if one has access to the knowledge of the param para.
2) 761210DB.HYD Lectures Prabhupada- So anyway, from 1922 to 1933 practically I was not initiated, but I got the impression of preaching Caitanya Mahaprabhu's cult. That I was thinking. And that was the initiation by my Guru Maharaja. Then officially I was initiated in 1933 because in 1923 I left Calcutta. I started my business at Allahabad.
So from this very instructive lesson given by Srila Prabhupada above, he tells us all , directly, that he was NOT initiated when he first met Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Maharaj, but by hearing from him he got the impression or transcendental knowledge imparted to him thru his ear and heart and by THAT lesson of hearing from Bhaktisiddhanta Maharaj, our Srila Prabhupada considered that hearing, his real INITIATION. And it was some 11 years later that he took formal initiation.
So these two statements by Srila Prabhupada clearly tell us what initiation consists of- The imparting of transcendental knowledge to the disciple. And where does this massive amount of transcendental knowledge originally come from? Srila Prabhupada and nobody else.
Therefore he is the guru and Acarya.
The BBT editors accept that the relationship between Jagannatha das babaji and Bhaktivinode Thakur was not one of formal initiation but of the transmission of transcendental knowledge. So if that transmission of transcendental knowledge alone constitutes initiation, as Prabhupada himself does write, then the iskcon system of initiation where one is required to accept a physically living guru is not necessary, since all one has to do is accept the knowledge that Srila Prabhupada himself gives to us thru his books and eventually the ritvik system he ordered for formal initiation.
If the BBT allowed these words to remain in the C.C. purport then that would mean for many future generations many people could become Prabhupadas disciple thru the ritvik system for formal initiation, since everyone could have access to this transcendental knowledge thru his books tapes and lectures. This the BBT editors dont want to happen because it would curtail their cash cow in the form of stolen and cheated disciples.
Now please consider these following thoughts regarding how a soul gets the mercy of a bonafide guru.
In the original Iskcon songbook written by Acyutananda Swami and blessed by Srila Prabhupada, we have all heard and sung the words to the Sri Guru Carana Padma song done at every days guru puja ceremony.
guru mukha padma vakya, cittete koriya aikya
ar na koriho mane asa
My only wish is to have my consciousness purified by the words emanating from his lotus mouth.
cakhudana dilo yei hanme janme prabhu sei
dibya jnan hrde prokasito
He opens my darkened eyes and fills my heart with transcendental knowledge. He is my lord birth after birth.
This song is sung daily by everyone in iskcon, yet they are told to believe that Prabhupada is "not available" for them- in other words- dead and gone- which is why they all need a "living guru". Yet in this very same song they all sing daily to Srila Prabhupada, they are saying that they want their consciousness purified by Prabhupadas words. And why? because he Prabhupada, opens our dark hearts, filling them with divya jnana and he is doing this--birth after birth. We dont take the same body birth after birth, but get a new one, yet the Acarya Srila Prabhupada, we all sing, has the power or shakti to open our hearts in those new bodies, and give us transcendental knowledge.
If this is so, that Prabhupada is doing this and will do this in future lives,and most all will readily admit this in iskcon, then why does anyone need one of their voted in, no objection, so called gurus??
So if Prabhupada is doing this--opening their hearts with transcendental knowledge, birth after birth, as they daily sing , why do they continue to think he is dead and gone and need someone else to open their eyes, hearts and rescue them from birth after birth? Do we all see the contradiction here?
The entire iskcon organization has had their brains hijacked by the bogus gurus and the "rascal editors" Dravida and Jayadvaita swami have aided and abetted them in this crime.
some supplemental quotes on this subject:
1) 74-11-22.Bah Letter: Bahurupa Please accept my blessings. I am in due receipt of your letter dated September 24th, 1974. I am pleased to hear that you are chanting 16 rounds daily and reading my books regularly and following the four rules. In my books the philosophy of Krishna Consciousness is explained fully so if there is anything which you do not understand, then you simply have to read again and again. By reading daily the knowledge will be revealed to you and by this process your spiritual life will develop.
2) ►SB 5.12.14 P ...as soon as a foolish disciple tries to overtake his spiritual master and becomes ambitious to occupy his post. he immediately falls down. Yasya ... yasyaprasadan na gatih kuto 'pi. If the spiritual master is considered an ordinary man, the disciple surely loses his chance to advance further.
3) Madhya 19.160 Others may make a show of devotional service like the prakrta-sahajiyas, or one may try to support his philosophy by joining some caste or identifying himself with a certain dynasty, claiming a monopoly on spiritual advancement. Thus with the support of family tradition, one may become a pseudo guru or so-called spiritual master... One may also try to carry out a professional business while chanting the Hare Krsna mantra or reading Srimad-Bhagavatam, or one may try to increase his monetary strength by illegal means. One may also try to be a cheap Vaisnava by chanting in a secluded place for material adoration, or one may desire mundane reputation by making compromises with nondevotees, compromising one's philosophy or spiritual life, or one may become a supporter of a hereditary caste system. All these are pitfalls of personal sense
gratification. Just to cheat some innocent people, one makes a show of advanced spiritual life and becomes known as a sadhu, mahatma or religious person. All this means that the so-called devotee has become victimized by all these unwanted creepers and that the real creeper of bhakti-lata-bija has been stunted.
4) ►SB 4.18.5 P t .... Presently people are so fallen that they cannot distinguish between a liberated soul and a conditioned soul. A conditioned soul is hampered by four defects...
5) Madhya 1.220 A jealous person in the dress of a Vaisnava is not at all happy to see the success of another Vaisnava in receiving the Lord's mercy. Unfortunately in this Age of Kali there are many mundane persons in the dress of Vaisnavas, and Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura has described them as disciples of Kali. He says, kali-cela. He indicates that there is another Vaisnava, a pseudoVaisnava with tilaka on his nose and kanthi beads around his neck. Such a pseudoVaisnava associates with money and women and is jealous of successful Vaisnavas. Although passing for a Vaisnava, his only business is earning money in the dress of a Vaisnava. Bhaktivinoda Thakura therefore says that such a pseudoVaisnava is not a Vaisnava at all but a disciple of Kali-yuga. A disciple of Kali cannot become an acarya by the decision of some high court.[like the voted in gurus of iskcon] Mundane votes have no jurisdiction to elect a Vaisnava acarya. A Vaisnava acarya is self-effulgent, and there is no need for any court judgment. A false acarya may try to override a Vaisnava by a high-court decision, but Bhaktivinoda Thakura says that he is nothing but a disciple of Kali-yuga.
Lectures So although a physical body is not present, the vibration should be accepted as the presence of the spiritual master,
vibration. What we have heard from the spiritual master, that is living.