25 very potent warnings from Srila Prabhupada
Hare Krsna to All
All glories to Srila Prabhupada
Below we have gathered 25 very potent quotes from Srila Prabhupada which should act as WARNINGS to us all. When something goes wrong on your car and the red lights start flashing you know it is time to stop and carefully check things out. Similarly in the same way, Srila Prabhupada has given us all warning signs for the sincere and serious devotees to watch out for in our devotional lives. If you are one of them, then please forge forward.
Prabhupada warned us in a 1973 letter to Dhruvananda:
1) "The greatest danger to our movement will come when we manufacture and create our own process for worshiping the deities. So don't ask any more new questions, whatever is going on, follow it just to the exact standard as I have given you, that's all."
2) 21 September, 1970 , Calcutta
Letter to Isana and Vibhavati "In my books I have tried to explain clearly this simultaneously one and different philosophy acinta beda beda tattva propounded by Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu. But sometimes it happens that this philosophy is given a self-interested interpretation. As soon as personal motivation comes in it is not possible for one to understand our Krishna Consciousness philosophy."
Order of how to offer bhogaApril 1, 1970 Los Angeles
Letter to Himavati
3) "Yes, it is nice that you are worshipping Lord Caitanya along with Radha Krsna. That is alright. Lord Caitanya should be placed to the right side of Krsna. There is nothing special for His worship, but you may continue as you are doing now. The order of worshipping is first Spiritual Master, and then Lord Caitanya, then Radha Krsna (as in the mantras or Bunde aham prayer).
Your confidence to do whatever you are instructed by the Spiritual Master is very encouraging. Yes, this is the method of the Vedic injunction, staunch faith in Spiritual Master and Krsna makes one perfect in spiritual understanding."
16 June, 1969 New VrindabanLetter to Arundhati
4) "Regarding your question about offering Prasadam, whatever is offered to the Deity actually it goes through the Spiritual Master. The Spiritual Master offers to Lord Caitanya, and Lord Caitanya offers it to Krishna. Then Radha Krishna eats, or Jagannatha eats, then Caitanya Mahaprabhu eats, then the Spiritual Master eats, and it becomes Mahaprasadam. So when you offer something, you think like that and chant the Gayatri mantra, and then everything is complete. At last, ring the bell, take out the plate and wipe the place where the plate was kept."
Vrndavana, India August 1967 Letter to: Devotee & Hamsaduta
5) "One who understands and appreciates the disciplic succession is certainly advanced, and we should always be very careful to give full respect to those who have so carefully handled this Divine Fruit of transcendental knowledge before us. Even a slight change will spoil it. That is why I have always been so careful to give you only those things which I have heard from my Guru Maharaja ."
6) Adi 5.232 The Glories of Lord Nityananda Balarama There are others who are against the worship of CaitanyaMahaprabhu, thinking Him mundane. But any sect that differentiatesbetween Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu and Radha-Krsna, either by worshipingRadha-Krsna as distinct from Lord Caitanya or by worshiping LordCaitanya but not Radha-Krsna, is in the group of prakrta-sahajiyas. Srila Krsnadasa Kaviraja Gosvami, the author ofCaitanya-caritamrta, predicts in verses 225 and 226 that in the futurethose who manufacture imaginary methods of worship will gradually giveup the worship of Radha-Krsna, and although they will call themselvesdevotees of Lord Caitanya, they will also give up the worship ofCaitanya Mahaprabhu and fall down into material activities. For thereal worshipers of Lord Caitanya, the ultimate goal of life is to
worship Sri Sri Radha and Krsna.
Avoid all gaudiya matha godbrothers 7) "...Whatever is to be learned of the teachings of Srila Bhaktivinode Thakura can be learned from our [i.e., Srila Prabhupada's books]books. There is no need whatsoever for any outside instruction." SPLDecember 25th 1973
8) Therefore amongst my God brothers NO ONE IS QUALIFIED to become acharya. So it is better NOT TO MIX with my God brothers very intimately, because instead of inspiring our students they may sometimes POLLUTE them. This attempt was made by them previously, especially MADHAVA Maharaja and TIRTHA Maharaja and BON Maharaja, but somehow I saved the situation. This is going on. We shall be careful about them AND NOT MIX WITH THEM. This is my instruction to YOU ALL. They CANNOT HELP us in our movement, but they are very competent to HARM our natural progress. So we must be very careful about them." (SPL April 28, 1974)9) On 9 November 1975, Srila Prabhupada ordered, "All my disciples should avoid all of my Godbrothers. They should not have any dealings with them nor even correspondence, nor should we give them any of my books, nor should we purchase any of their books, neither should you visit any of their temples. Please avoid them."
10) "The church that has the best chance of survival in this damned world is that of atheism under the convenient guise of theism. The churches have always proved the staunchest upholders of the grossest form of worldliness from which even the worst of non-ecclesiastical criminals are found to recoil. ..."words from Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Maharaj
11) Prabhupada: Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura, he said that "When ourmen will be sahajiya, oh, they'll be more dangerous." So our men arebecoming, some of them, sahajiyas. This very word he said, that "Whenour men will be sahajiyas he'll be more dangerous."Hari-sauri: Without any proper realization, on the basis of being ableto read Sanskrit, they delve into all kinds of books, and then theypick fault--"Oh, this rule is not being followed. This is wrong. Thisis wrong."Satsvarupa: "We don't chant sixty-four rounds, so that is very bad.We'll never make any progress."Prabhupada: Sahajiya. 12) 740123SB.HAW Lectures Prabhupada: Therefore you have got spiritual master. Why he is there?Therefore you have to accept spiritual master who will give youdirection. You cannot do it. If you manufacture your own..., then goto hell. Yasya deve para bhaktir yatha deve tatha gurau, tasyaitekathita hy arthah. Krsna is there; guru is there. Why should youmanufacture your own way? If you are sincere, Krsna will dictate fromwithin. Tesam satata-yuktanam bhajatam priti-purvakam. Find out thisverse. Tesam satata-yuktanam bhajatam priti-purvakam, buddhi-yogamdadami tam.Pradyumna: 10.10Prabhupada: Krsna is ready to give you instruction. The spiritualmaster is ready. Why should you do at your whims, and do somethingwrong and go to hell? Yes?
13) DANGER OF BUREAUCRACY
Srila Prabhupada: "Once there is bureaucracy the whole thing will be SPOILED. There must always be individual striving, work and responsibility, competitive spirit, not that one shall dominate and distribute benefits to others and they do nothing but beg from you and you provide. No."(SPL December 22, 1972)DANGER OF IMPURITY14) Srila Prabhupada: "As soon as there is a little impurity, the whole thing will deteriorate and go to HELL. We shall not like to take the credit in that case, therefore I am praying simply that all of you, my advanced disciples, GBC men, Temple officers, will become sober-minded." (SPL December 29,1972)Danger of being whimsical15) Srila Prabhupada: "I made the GBC to give me relief, but if you do like this, then where is the relief? It is ANXIETY for me. This is the difficulty, that as soon as one gets POWER he becomes whimsical and SPOILS everything. What can I do?" ( SPL September 12, 1974)
16) Unfortunately, when the acharya disappears, rogues and nondevotees take advantage and immediately begin to introduce unauthorized principles in the name of so-called svamis, yogis, philanthropists, welfare workers and so on. The acharya, the authorized representative of the Supreme Lord, establishes these principles, but when he disappears, things once again become disordered. The perfect disciples of the acharya try to relieve the situation by sincerely following the instructions of the spiritual master SB 4.28.48 Purport): And what to do about non devotees and so-called swamis:
17) "There are many jealous people in the dress of Vaishnavas in this Krishna Consciousness movement, and they should be completely neglected. A false acarya may try to override a vaishnava by a high-court decision, (2/3 hand vote) but Bhaktivinoda Thakura says that he is nothing but a disciple of Kali-yuga.". 18) "Bhaktivinoda Thakura says, Kali-cela. He indicates that there are other Vaishnavas, pseudo-Vaishnavas, with tilaka on their nose and kunti beads around their neck. Such a pseudo-Vaishnava associates with money and women and is jealous of successful Vaishnavas. Although passing for a Vaishnava, his only business is earning money in the dress of a Vaishnava". (CC.Madhy.,Ch.1, Text 218 / 220, purport)Misused money donations
19) Acyutānanda:: If a man says, “I am giving you this donation because it is a spiritual organization,” but if the money is misused, does that man benefit.
Srila Prabhupāda: If money is misused, then both of them become implicated. If it is not used for Kṛṣṇa, then both of them becomes under the laws of karma
20) Srila Prabhupada: That is the way of falsehood. If once you speak something false, then to protect that falsehood you have to take to so many other falsehoods. This is the way of falsehood. Srila Prabhupada Conversations : 1975 Conversations : June, 1975 : Morning Walk -- June 2, 1975, Honolulu 21) By pride, either artificial or real, the resultant action of austerity is spoiled; by too much affection for female association, cleanliness is spoiled; by too much addiction to intoxication, mercy is spoiled; and by too much lying propaganda, truthfulness is spoiled. The revival of bhāgavata-dharma can save human civilization from falling prey to evils of all description
Books : Srimad-Bhagavatam : Canto 1:"Creation" : SB 1.17: Punishment and Reward of Kali : SB 1.17.25
How to lose the param para link Friday, October 6, 1967 Delhi, India
Letter to Satsvarupa
22) "Kirtanananda may be eager to address in the Harvard university but recently he has lost his link on account of disobedience. You sing every day morning that by the mercy of the Spiritual master one can please the Lord and one who has not pleased the spiritual master cannot have any access in the realm of Krishna Consciousness. Very recently Kirtanananda has developed a different consciousness of Maya which is called misuse of one's minute independence offered by Krishna.
By misuse of one's independence one at once becomes a victim of Maya and thus he loses all importance in Krishna Consciousness. So it is my definite opinion that his lecture anywhere now will bear no spiritual sequence. He must rectify his mistake before he can play in our Society any important role. By lips he says that he is a surrendered soul but by action he is thinking differently."
Bogus gurus AND their followers go to Hell- 23) SB 1.19.37 P The Appearance of Sukadeva Gosvami
Unless one is perfectly anxious to inquire about the way of perfection, there is no necessity of approaching a spiritual master. A spiritual master is not a kind of decoration for a householder. Generally a fashionable materialist engages a so-called spiritual master without any profit. The pseudo spiritual master flatters the so-called disciple, and thereby both the master and his ward go to hell without a doubt. 24) 72-12-14.Letter: Tusta Krsna
As for your next question, can only a few pure devotees deliver others, anyone, if he is a pure devotee he can deliver others, he can become spiritual master. But unless he on that platform he should not attempt it. Then both of them will to go to hell, like blind men leading the blind. 25) SB 6.7.14 Indra Offends His Spiritual Master, Brhaspati.
Leaders who have fallen into ignorance and who mislead people by directing them to the path of destruction [as described in the previous verse] are, in effect, boarding a stone boat, and so too are those who blindly follow them. A stone boat would be unable to float and would sink in the water with its passengers. Similarly, those who mislead people go to hell, and their followers go with them.
| HOME | TOP |